Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2000 20:41:24 EST
Chris Slade:
Chalk brood is a fungus, and hence, not considered life threatening to bees
resulting
in little active scientific research.
In my 66 years of beekeeping, I have had CB several times in one of my out
apiaries, but never in my home apiary.  Since all my bees, regardless of what
apiary they are in, are treated equally in every detail, I surmised that the
difference must be some deviation in the apiary itself.  For protection
vandalism
or theft, I often hid the hives in an out apiary in the woods, but near a
creek if
possible.  I found that hives that had OLDER COMB, enjoyed the coolness of
wooded
shade and lack of direct sun, and close to water that might have elevated the
humidity (dampness) were those most likely to exhibit CB mummies.  In a few
instances, I moved those colonies to some other location with more sun and
less
dampness, and the CB symptoms disappeared.

I know that about 15 years ago while working on AFB, Martha Gilliam suggested
that
OLD wax (continuously used for brood) might "house" pathogens related to AFB,
CB, and Nosema.

Speaking for myself, I think that future investigation of HYGIENIC bees and
their
home environment will uncover some long sought after information.  As with
many
other things, "the squeaking wheel gets the grease," and our always existing
fund
shortage, I don't expect any direct research on CB, but the research related
HYGIENIC bees might uncover a lot.  Dr. Marla Spivak of the University of
Minnesota
might be the lead person in this work.

This is not much, but I hope I have helped.

Happy New Year!

George Imirie