From:
Bill Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 20:00:59 -0400
Hi All,

My neighbor came to me the other day after having been stung several times by bumble bees.  It seems that they had made a home in one of his bird houses.  The post had rotted off at the ground level and it fell across his neighbors fence.  When he went to move it the bees came out and attacked him.

I went down to see the bees and access the situation.  There were several bees flying around the birdhouse and some coming and going.  He wanted me to kill them.  He said that he had sprayed them with wasp killer and had went to the store and purchased some more.  I told him that number one, I would not kill the bees, but that I would get rid of them for him.

I thought about it for a while and came up with a simple solution.  I said I would meet him right after dark.  I asked to have available a large plastic trash bag and a light.  I went down at dark.  He was ready with a flashlight and a plastic bag.  He was also ready.  He had on a heavy sweat shirt and long pants.  He had big leather gloves and some kind of hat that I couldn't make out too well in the dark. And big boots.  I had on a pair of shorts, canvas shoes and a baseball cap.  He looked at me and said, "I guess you are not going to help me."  Quite the contrary!

I just put the plastic bag over the bird house, wrapped it around the pole and walked it to the woods and leaned it up against a tree.  I was a little apprehensive about taking the bag back off, but I got it off with not too much trouble.

I looked at the hive a couple days later and did not see any bees around.  So I went up to it and rapped on it and heard a lot of buzzing.  There were a few bees still hanging around the old location wondering where there house was.

Billy Bee