From:
Marc Studebaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 21:40:30 -0500
Patrick Haley wrote:

>I'm a new Ohio beekeeper as of last spring.

>Nov. Finally checked and hive had been robbed of most honey and most bees
>dead. Queen okay and small cluster left. Closed off bottom entrance and
left
>only top entrance (1/2 moon through edge of inner cover) open since cluster

It is too cold in Ohio in February to feed syrup.  Try putting a frame of
honey with the cappings opened beside the cluster or granulated sugar on top
of the inner cover and hope for the best.  Sometimes a cluster this time of
year looks smaller than it is.  In March you can feed syrup but will need to
use a top feeder right above the cluster.
Good Luck
Marc Studebaker
Geneva, IN.