HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Benjamin Resnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 May 2000 16:39:00 -0400
        During excavation for a bridge replacement carrying Road 214
over Cubbage Pond (Sussex County, Delaware) we encountered
overlapping wooden penstocks (headrace) extending from the
dam/millpond to the turbine/wheel pit area.  The Cubbage Mill
dates from the late 18th century to circa 1940s. Both of the
penstocks were constructed of hand-hewn, mortised and pegged
beams with plank flooring.  During the 20th century, the penstock
comprised a concrete culvert located directly beneath the road and
supported by large circular-sawed beams (above the upper wooden
penstock). We are in the process of preparing a report on these
data recovery investigations for the Delaware Department of
Transportation.

Ben Resnick
GAI Consultants, Inc.
570 Beatty Road