HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Richard Veit <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 23 Apr 2000 10:16:58 -0400
I am researching pewter and lead trade pipes.  They are found on 17th-
and 18th-century sites in the Middle Atlantic and Northeastern United
States.  Sometimes they are referred to as "Dutch pewter pipes."  The
earliest one I am aware of was found at Jamestown and is reported by
John Cotter. The pipes vary from miniscule to enormous and are often
decorated with effigies of birds--particularly falcons, and dogs or
wolves.  The decorations are three dimensional figurines attached to the
pipes' bowls.

Here is my question, so far I have references to these pipes in New
York--dozens, New Jersey--a handful, Pennsylvania--dozens, Rhode
Island--one or two, Virginia--one, and Ontario--one.  They appear to
have been most common in the latter half of the 17th-century. Is anyone
aware of examples from Maryland, Delaware, Massachusetts, Connecticut,
Maine or anywhere else?

Thanks,

Rich Veit