HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Charles Adkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 15:12:16 -0800
Philip Levy <[log in to unmask]> on 04/11/2000 11:09:48 AM

Please respond to HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>

 To:      [log in to unmask]

 cc:      (bcc: Charles Adkins/NFO/AK/BLM/DOI)

 Subject: SHA 2001 Pothunt panel proposal

It would be nice if this would lead to a clearing house where professionals
with a job to do, and no money, could meet or
 contact amateurs, collectors, or pot hunters with time on their hands to
volunteer for a professional project.  I think everyone
could use more help on every project.  Involving volunteers with this type
of experience might help both sides of the question.

As the one who started the long lasting shape changing thread on
pothunters/collectors/amateur archaeologists, I would like to take the
discussion up a notch. I am interested in putting together a panel on the
topic for SHA 2001. Papers could look at issues in the tensions between
pros
and amateurs, strategies for work with or conversely combating/controlling
amateurs, case studies, and what ever else we can come up with. I have
already talked with some folks and there is some interest in the panel.
Anyone who would like to participate should contact me at [log in to unmask]

Philip Levy ABD
College of William and Mary, Department of History
Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, Department of Archaeological Research