HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Wittkofski, J. Mark" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 08:38:06 -0400
I took at look at this position description to see whether Mary had the
salary cap wrong.  After all, I have experience in most, if not all, of the
requirements. The job does all that Mary noted and is responsible for
developing policies, programs, and procedures, scopes of work, etc.  With my
20+ years of experience in public CRM (SHPO & DOT) plus a couple of years
managing a regional office of a private CRM firm, I figured that I could
easily qualify.  I thought perhaps there was an error in the salary cap.  It
seems to be correct...

I am surprised that a Northeastern state seemingly would offer so little
compensation for a position which appears from its job description to have
so much responsibility.  A comparable position in Virginia responsible for
developing policies, programs, and procedures likely would fall within this
state's classification system as either a grade 13 or grade 14.  These
salary ranges are: (13) $36,962 to $57,706 and (14) $40,406 to $63,083.
Could it be simply a myth that our Northeastern states pay higher salaries?
It seems that we would not want to look to our sister state of Massachusetts
for wage comparisons, were we to consider a salary study to improve our own
wages.

J. Mark Wittkofski

*The comments made above are simply those of the author and do not represent
his employer.