From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 03:57:52 GMT
Kevin Sutton writes:

>I would like to explore all the symphonies (I think there are four) and
>I was very pleased with what I heard on Bis.  There is, however, a set
>recorded on Hyperion with the BBC Scottish SO with Jean-Yves Ossance
>conducting.  Does anyone have a strong opinion for or against either of
>these sets?

I like them both.  The most noticeable difference is tempo; Sanderling
is significantly slower than Ossance.  That represents advantages
and disadvantages for each of them.  About a year ago, I did a little
self-comparision between Sanderling's first disc and the corresponding
Ossance performances.  I remember thinking that Sanderling was the more
insightful, but I'd have to listen many more times to each performance to
have any definitive opinion.  I just have to find the time.  Kevin, get
all four cd's (actually five) - that's the only way you'll really know the
answer to your question, and I don't believe you can go wrong with either
set.

Don Satz