From:
"D. Stephen Heersink" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 22:19:46 -0700
Dan Zimmerman writes:

>Another issue that I am know worrying about is related to the question of
>how to classify a composition.

Here's how I do it.  I don't have much use for this categorization except
for how I align my CDs on the shelves.  But without it -- basically an
alpha/numeric sort of scheme -- I'd have a harder time than I already do
finding some of the recordings I want:

Composer's Surname

Instrumental
        Etude
        Prelude
        Rondo
        Sonata
        Solo
Chamber
        Duet
        Octet
        Quartet
        Quintet
        Septet
        Trio
Orchestral
        Ballet
        Concerto
        Overture
        Suite
        Symphony
        Tone Poem
Vocal
        Anthem/Motet
        Chant
        Cantata/Chorale
        Hymnody
        Lieder
        Mass
        Opera
        Oratorio
        Psalmody/Canticle

Works like on a charm on everything except recordings containing more than
one composer.  Presently, I put use lead composer's surname and then file
as above.

D. Stephen Heersink
San Francisco