From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 07:09:23 -0500
Joel Lazar wrote:

>Karl Miller wrote:
>
>>I have tapes of several of the Munch performances.  The RCA recording was
>>done in stereo.  The stereo version was issued on LP back around 1980 or
>>so on RCA Gold Seal.
>
>I think I have that LP in a box somewhere...was it perhaps a stereo
>re-release with the original LP mono coupling, Piston 6th?

Yes. I still remember when it was reissued. I was working in record store
on the weekends. We were one of the stores Billboard would check for their
surveys. For the first month or so of the issue I told them it was one of
our best sellers, (it was because I told everyone of our regulars to buy
it) and it ended up being on the Billboard classical chart for several
weeks.

I had hoped that BMG would issue it, but perhaps it will be possible to get
rights. RCA also recorded the Seventh with Leinsdorf. It was done to try
out their levels and such when they were about to start their Dynagroove
series. The orchestra played through the piece and it was recorded, but
never issued. Wish both were brought out on a disc.

If the BSO wanted to they could do a wonderful set of Piston's music, all
from broadcast stuff. Munch did 2,3 (several times),4, 5, 6 (many times);
the Toccata; 3 New England Sketches; Fantasy for English Horn; Second Suite
and the Viola Concerto. Leinsdorf did a wonderful 4th, 7th and 8th. Most of
those performances survive in wonderful broadcast tapes.

Karl