From:
Ray Stamford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jun 2000 12:42:28 +0100
Walter Meyer forwarded this from a broadcast of "Schickele Mix":

>Stravinsky was present at a recording of his Septet, ...  the clarinetist
>realized to his horror that he had just been playing the wrong clarinet
>(A instead of Bb, or vice versa) throughout the movement.  He had been
>off key the entire time and hadn't noticed it.  Hurriedly he explained it
>sotto voce to the recording engineer, who hadn't noticed it either.  They
>explained to Stravinsky, who hadn't noticed the off key clarinet either
>(!), ...

IMHO this anecdote should be taken with a huge pinch of salt. Peter
Schickele, whose pseudonym is PDQ Bach, is well known to Radio 3 listeners
in Britain particularly on April Fools Day.

I cite the following recordings from my CD catalogue listed under
Schickele:  Chaconne a son Gout; A Zoo called Earth; Last Tango in
Bayreuth; Sneakey Peter and the Wolf.

and under PDQ Bach 1807 -1742! (sic):-

6 Contrary Dances; The Musical Sacrifice S50% off; The Short Tempered
Clavier - preludes and fugues as easy as 3.14159.... in all the major
and minor keys except the really hard ones.

In addition I have a recording of his Missa Hilarious broadcast on April
Fools Day some years ago. Has anyone listened to any of the above?  Long
may he reign.

Ray Stamford, Cambridge, England