From:
Robert Fletcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 06:38:50 -0700
In regards to conducting from memory, Maestro Toscanini also conducted from
memory almost out of necessity as the books I have read about the man state
that he had bad eyesight as he grew older.  Whether this is true or not,
some one here may be able to shed some light on this.  I must agree that
his memory was fabulous, It failed him as most folks know when he gave his
last public concert, That by the way was done in stereo, He played Wagner
and in the middle of one piece he put his baton down and walked off stage,
later to return and conduct as if nothing ever happened.  I don't remember
the label of the recording, but on it you can hear the sloppiness of the
musicians: they stated later they knew something was wrong with him in the
first few minutes of the opening number and this disjointed playing
continued until he put the baton down, after he returned, the old man
conducted with all the fire they were use to.  I guess conductors DO get
old, was Toscanini the oldest to live or have there been others?

BOB FLETCHER
Drafting-Archives Unit