HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Diana Wall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 06:54:56 -0400
Re Jim's sermon:   "Amen!"

There seems to be a trend afoot among some of our colleagues to ignore the
responsiblities of writing up (and perhaps in some cases even doing) a sound
technical analysis of  excavations and finds, and simply writing a narrative
based on whole cloth about the characters who lived on a site.  To my mind
this trend will facilitate our losing whatever limited credibility we may
have with the public.  The strength of any narrative we can write is only as
good as the data it rests on!

Diana Wall