HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Diana Wall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2001 08:59:14 -0500
Hi Histarchers:

I think that in their discussion of 19th c. ceramics Alasdair and Ron have
introduced a line of chat that has enormous potential for Histarch - a way of
comparing data informally so as to encourage further research.  Comparing
different preferences in dish styles among the members of different cultural
groups  (be they class, ethnic, or whatever) situated in places and times is
something that I  am really interested in and I think could be revealing
about identity-- did you guys continue your discussion off-line? Or just give
up?  If, Alasdair you did become more specific off-line, could I see some of
your data? I have data about from assemblages from several different groups
in New York City throughout lots of the 19th century which I would be more
than happy to share either off-line or on, if anyone is interested - most of
which has been published somewhere or other.

To refer back to an exchange re dishes of a month or two ago, it is for this
kind of comparison that I think mcd dates can be really useful,  as they give
a general idea (a mean of median dates of manufacture, albeit burdened with
assumptions) for dating when an assemblage was made and perhaps (a big
perhaps) acquired, and of course tpq dates can give info re when assemblages
were deposited in the ground.

Diana diZerega Wall