HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 19:10:09 -0500
In a message dated 1/21/01 5:39:22 PM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<< There is no technology in dowsing.  It is little more than redneck
 voodoo. >>

While I would agree that there is no technology in dowsing, The cultural bias
in the second statement is obvious.  While the "explanations" for why dowsing
works are numerous, its existence and success does not depend on any of them.
 While I have never had reason to use this skill learned in my youth for
archaeological purposes, I think it a great experiment to try it -- It is a
non destructive technique that will of course need to be ground truthed to
verify interpretation of results.  Sounds a lot like how we approach GPR and
metal detectors to me.  Go for it Ned, and please let us know how it worked.

Just another redneck up in Vermont
Douglas