HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Robert L. Schuyler" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 10:57:56 -0500
We all know that the CIA (or was it the SPCA) shoved V. Gordon off
the cliff.

By the way, you have the SHA Awards wrong. They are:

(1) J.C. Harrington Medal
          Given for a lifetime of contributions to the field centered
on scholarship. This award has so far gone to North Americans (Canada
and the US) because of the depth of the discipline's history in this
region. In 1997 it went to Jame Deetz and last year to Rick Sprague.It will
eventually also go to scholars outside of North America.

(2) Carol V. Ruppe Distinguished Service AWard

        For outstanding contributions to the Society for Historical
Archaeology. It has only gone to three individuals so far: Teff
Rodeffer, Ron Michael and (this year) Norm Barka.

(3) John L. Cotter Award in Historical Archaeology

        Given to people at the start of the careers (including but
not limited to students) for an outstanding achievement in a particular
category. Last year it went to Paul Mullins, this year it will go to
Audrey Horning. Both are North Americans (although Horning is now
working in Europe) but again it is not limited to that region.

(4) SHA Awards of Merit

        A flexible award with usually three given each year. It does
cover scholarship (e.g. William and Edith Wallace in Long Beach) but
also all other categories (e.g. adminstration, law, politics,
education) and can go to either individuals or associations. So far
Awards of Merit have been given to nationals of the United States,
Canada and Mexico but the category is not limited geographically.

For more information take a look at the SHA home page under SHA
Awards.

                                        Bob Schuyler

At 04:49 PM 12/7/2000 +1000, you wrote:
>I (and I know Denis is supportive) have always thought that there should be
>a special Gordon Childe award in archaeology to commemorate the essential
>spirit behind that last trip to Blackheath. Historical Archaeology has its
>John Cotter Award for distinguished service in historical archaeology,
>Australian Archaeology has its Big Man Award for those who show unique
>sensitivity to archaeological issues. The Gordon Childe award could cross
>all aspects of archaeology and celebrate the spirit behind that trip to the
>Grose Valley back in 1957.
>
>Iain Stuart
>Principal, Archaeology and Heritage Management
>HLA-Envirosciences Pty. Ltd.

Robert L. Schuyler
University of Pennsylvania Museum
33rd & Spruce Streets