HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Alasdair Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 15:08:13 +1000
>Dear Collegues,
>
>I am faced with the task of teaching a general introductory lecture on the
>European Expansion. The course will not be restricted on the "Archaeology
>of the Modern World System" but will begin sometime in the 7th century BC
>with the Greek colonies in Egypt. However the main topic will of course be
>the expansion of Europeans after the 15th century and what effect this
>expansion had on indigenous socities.
>
>To my knowledge such a course - in lecture form - has not been taught at
>German universities yet and while there is a good bit of literature
>available on North America and partly on Africa, other regions  are hardly
>covered, e.g. S America, SE Asia, S and E Africa.

<snip>

Just off the top of my head (and all of these examples are in English)

There's a whole section devoted to "European Expansion, Colonialism, and
Resistance", including examples from most of the regions you list, in:

Miller, D., M.Rowlands and C. Tilley (1995). _Domination and Resistance_,
Routledge, London.
(the title is a giveaway on the fairly hefty Marxist influence).

You might also find some things of interest in:

Bond, G.C. and Gilliam, A. (1994). _Social Construction of the Past;
Representation as Power_, Routledge, London.
(once again quite Marxist in emphasis - this is meant as opinion rather than
as a pejorative comment)

Both of these are in Routledge's One World Archaeology series.  A
forthcoming (later this year or early next?) book in the same series with a
more overtly Historical Archaeology emphasis is "The Archaeology of British"
edited by Susan Lawrence, which examines both Britain and the rest of tyhe
Empire.  The contributers (including, mea culpa, myself) are quite an
international bunch.

I'd also suggest including some archaeology on the interaction between
Australian colonialism and indigenous society (such as Tim Murray's paper in
Vol67, No.256, pp504-519, of Antiquity), though since I've only been in
Australia for 2 months, I'm sure others can do a much better job of giving
you suggestions here.

Finally, I'd suggest including a couple of examples from _within_ medieval
Europe to contextualise how European attitudes to indigineous peoples are
firmly rooted in the European experience.  Two examples that quickly come to
mind are the the English in Wales post-1282 and the Teutonic Knights in the
Baltic (there are, of course, plenty of other examples).

Alasdair Brooks

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dr. Alasdair Brooks
Department of Archaeology