Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 11:43:40 -0600
Bill Morong makes the observation that when his bees want pollen or pollen
substitute that he often sees them on horse dung, but then when he provides
them with the pollen substitute that they no longer go to the dung.

The thought that immediately came to my mind is that maybe they are going for
the nitrogen and possibly other elemental nutrients that they would be getting
from pollen or pollen substitutes.  That would be my guess.  Bill has provided
a very interesting juxtaposition of observations.

Layne Westover
College Station, Texas