From:
Lynn Shea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 12:37:46 EDT
Dear Pat, I am wondering if the case for iron fortification of "supplemental"
formulas is as clear cut as you make it. There is debate over the
risk/benefit ratio since theoretically extra Fe added to breast fed baby's
diet could interfere with the immune benefits. I have heard a number of
lecturers who feel very strongly that it not be done and as a matter of fact,
we did not supplement with Fe fortified formula in the level 2 nsy where I
worked a number of years ago. When I asked Marsha Walker about it at her New
England conference last year her statement was that the "jury is still out"
on that decision. Have you got more up to date info.? pleas advise.
Lynn Shea Rn, Bsn, Ibclc
Franklin, Massachusetts