From:
Judi Hall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 01:24:38 EDT
On those busy days, how I would like to just see the problems, but there are
several reasons I still try to see all moms at least once.  One, they are
often unaware of a problem or a potential problem that I might pick up.  Two,
I want to establish contact so they feel free to call if they need help
later.  Three, in our bottle feeding society, there is such ignorance of good
breastfeeding, latch, etc. (look at some of our discussions here), that
contact with an LC often helps build confidence if things are going well.  So
many times I have been able to reassure away from supplementing when the mom
wanted to do it.  We do live in a place where credentials are respected.  If
the nurse tells her the correct information then I confirm it, we have a
winning team.    Let me give another example.  Just the other day I stopped
in to see a mom with her seventh breastfed baby.  Her nurse told me all was
well.  The mom mentioned that this was her smallest baby.  When I checked,
the baby could not get enough areola to compress the sinuses.  (Huge nipples,
small mouth).  I think I was able to give her some advice that could prevent
a slow gain.  Should the nurses have seen and picked this up?  I am not sure.
 For now, we will continue to see all breastfeeding moms.