From:
John Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 23:30:58 EST
In a message dated 3/8/00 9:47:48 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<<To my knowledge no New Zealand beekeeper has ever regarded bumble bees as a
problem to beekeeping.>>

   The question I raise is not whether bumble bees negatively affect honey
bees. The question is which presents a threat (if any) to native pollinators
when introduced to a new environment. Bumble bees will chew out the base of a
flower evolved to be pollinated by another animal, such as a hummingbird or a
bat, to get at the nectar without pollinating the plant—thereby reducing the
chances for success for both the plant and its natural pollinator.
   What the advocates of native pollinators seem to be ignoring is that the
businesses that supply the demand for "native" pollinators do what good
capitalists do—standardize their product for efficiency. It's more cost
effective to raise one species of bumble bee or Orchard Mason and send it
everywhere than to try to produce 55 species of bumble bee, or even two
species of Orchard Masons. People are duped into thinking they are striking a
blow for conservation, when in fact they are accelerating the proliferation
of non-native exotics throughout the countryside.
   Do I personally believe native pollinators need protection from
non-natives? Not where honey bees are concerned. Honey bees have been around
long enough to be considered a naturalized citizen, a successful immigrant,
whether in New Zealand, Australia or America. The greater threat of the
unknown is what happens when wholly new pollinating insects are introduced in
a misguided attempt to right the debatable "wrongs" of honey bees.
John Mitchell