From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 17:22:04 PDT
It's that time of the month again, and I'll be looking for the following
releases:

Bruckner's 8th Symphony from Boulez on DG - I just might buy this one and
see if Boulez can enhance my appreciation of Bruckner.  Do Harnoncourt and
Boulez represent some new wave in Bruckner interpretation? Boulez's disc
isn't expected to be released until sometime after June.

Beethoven's String Quartets Opus 18, No.4 & Opus 131 from the Hagen Quartet
on DG - I've always liked the Hagen Quartet.  I just hope that this
recording makes its way to the U.S.  unlike their previous one which had
Beethoven and Schubert string quartets.  My understanding is that Universal
will be more generous with U.S.  distribution than Polygram.

Mozart's Violin Concertos from Pamela Frank/Zinman on Arte Nova - This
sounds like a good combination, and the price can't be beat.  I haven't
bought any Mozart violin concerto recordings for a long time.

Nordgren Symphonies Opus 88 & 103 from Ondine - Every month I try out a
composer who's new to me.  Last month it was Erkki-Sven Tuur.

Hahn String Quartets and Piano Quintet from Auvidis Valois - This might
just be a curiosity, but I am very curious.

Chopin's Piano Sonata No. 3 and Heroic Polonaise plus Schumann's Papillons
and Kinderszenen from Alex Slobodyanik on EMI Debut - Gramophone raves
about this young artist, and the disc has my favorite Schumann solo work
(Kinderszenen) and Chopin piano sonata.

Bach's Christmas Oratorio from Pickett on Decca - I buy every new Bach
sacred choral disc on period instruments, and Pickett routinely provides
thought-provoking interpretations of Early and Baroque music.

Don Satz