From:
Matt Garson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Apr 2000 08:54:54 -0400
This past Wednesday, I attended the LPO's performance of Bruckner's 3rd
Symphony (1877 version) and Mozart's Piano Concerto #9 (K.271).  The LPO
was conducted by Haitink and the piano soloist was Francois-Frederic Guy.

I was fairly removed from the Orchestra, but still close enough to
notice that Guy seemed to be playing entirely from memory without any
sheet music.  I've never seen a performer play from memory before under
such circumstances and I was wondering if anyone knew if this practice is
typical of Guy? More generally, is this a practice that is common among
performers that I've simply never noticed?

I should think that given the difficulty (according to the program) of 9,
it would be extremely...brave...to play it from memory.  Regardless, as
far as I could tell, Guy gave a flawless performance that was not merely
technically perfect, but also wonderful to listen to live.  I was impressed
enough with Guy's performance to decide that I should pick up some of his
recorded performances.  Hopefully, they will be as enjoyable.

Out of curiosity, did anyone else go to the concert?

Posting for the First Time,
-Matt