From:
William Strother <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 13:28:10 -0800
Walter Meyer wrote:

>...  Apparently the best conductors can get superb performances from
>otherwise obscure orchestras and, conversely, an orchestra of international
>reputation can fall flat from poor conducting.  Which raises a question
>for me.  The Philadelphia Orchestra, under Stokowski and under Ormandy was
>famous for its "Philadelphia sound".  Did this Philadelphia sound remain
>when Toscanini guest conducted them?

No, it sounded like Toscanini.  I have heard recordings of Beecham
conducting a student orchestra in Illinois in 1956, the year of the Mozart
Bicentennial.  I remember the last three symphonies, Abduction from the
Seraglio, and other music I don't now remember.  It made up 4 concerts at
the time and they appeared on tape for radio stations to use.  And they had
all the wonders of a typical Beecham performance.  I don't know what it is,
but great conductors had a personal sound which they were able to transmit
to orchestras of less than great rank -- and without any unusual steps in
the rehearsal process.

It's a mystery.

And I forgot one thing -- I saw Ormandy conduct the LA Phil in concert,
and guess what?  Sounded just like the Philadelphia.  Not only to me, but
to the critics as well.

Bill S