From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 18:07:02 -0800
Charles L. L. Dalmas ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Purists, I have found, are more interested in their own narrow views than
>in the betterment of music as a whole (not anyone in particular on the
>list, mind you, just purists in general).

The (IIRC) Beethoven concerto cycle under Hogwood - who is the pianist?
- didn't use Beethoven's own cadenzas in at least one concerto, on the
grounds that they were written later for an instrument whose range exceeded
that available when the concerto was actually composed....

>I've been called a barbarian for liking the Beecham Messiah.  I didn't
>appreciate it.  comments?

"If you play Beethoven on a modern grand, they think you're a fascist
who wants to tear down all the hospitals"

   Stephen Kovacevich, Gramophone Interview, c1995.
   (My apologies if it's not word-perfect, but it's close)

Deryk Barker