From:
Peter Goldstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 14:25:18 -0500
I'm entirely new to the list, so if this is a topic that's been dealt
with in detail, I apologize.  I'm interested in people's views on taking
repeats, particularly in the works of Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, and their
contemporaries.  It seems as if performers take more repeats now than in
the past, particularly in fast movements--on the other hand, many slow
movement repeats and second repeats are still left out (looking at the
score for the first time, I was shocked to discover that the finale of the
Jupiter symphony repeats both sections).  What should be the criteria? What
is the value of repeats?

Also--a specific question--does anyone know if the Amadeus Quartet took
repeats in their Mozart recordings? They didn't in Beethoven.  Best,

Peter Goldstein
Huntingdon, PA