HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Stubbs, Donna" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 17:22:23 -0500
Tim, et al.
OUCH (wince, cringe)
I sympathize with your abused feelings, although I have never had my
qualifications so harshly impugned.

Regarding the (in)famous Rune Stone.  Alice Kehoe chaired a session at the
2000 Joint Midwest Archaeological/Plains Anthropological Conference in St.
Paul in November about the stone.  Three of the presenters were ardent
supporters of the authenticity of the stone.  The fourth presenter was a
chemical analyst who gave the most informative talk.  His company was
actually allowed to take a core of the stone for analysis and also to
analysize the carvings.  (I don't remember his name and they didn't print it
in the bulletin, but maybe someone else remembers it.)  Anyway, he said
their tests to date have only confirmed that the stone itself was a very old
granite glacial erratic.  Also that, yes the carvings were old but they
could not determine 'how old' since there will need to be patination studies
and comparisons with other similar granite stones (gravestones were
suggested).

The gist of his discussion was further studies were going to be made but
nothing could be said for either arguement.  Soooo, I'll stick my neck out
and say they didn't convince me it was made by Vikings.  Scandinavians
probably, but when?

And there will always be people who have their own experts and references to
confirm their beliefs.  Regarding my previous message about the Fantastic
Archaeology course.  It was truly amazing how many of the same sources (von
Daniken in particular) were quoted as references for the various
"archaeological" and "historical" legends.
D. Stubbs