HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 13:09:45 -0400
I came across another connection to Raritan in the Wills of New York that may
be of interest to the ASNJ (Re: [ASNJ] RARITAN LANDING ENDANGERED Open Letter
from Bill Sandy)

Search Terms: MINTHORNE (2)
Database: New York City Wills, 1706-90
Combined Matches: 2

In the name of God, Amen. April 15, 1715, in the First year of the Glorious
Reign of our Sovereign Lord, King George [1st]. I, WOLFERT WEBBER, of the Out
Ward of New York, yeoman, enjoying yet good health, but being ancient. I make
my well beloved son-in-law, Philip Minthorne, of the Out Ward, wheel wright,
executor. All debts to be paid, and an inventory to be made. I leave to my
daughter Anneken, wife of Jacques Fonteyn, of Raritan, Somerset County, New
Jersey, œ2, 10s., as a preference for her birthright, whereby I do utterly
cut her off from being my Heiress at Law. I leave to my granddaughter,
Geertie Fonteyn, daughter of Jacques Fonteyn, a silver cup of the value of
œ8, for her being called after the name of my wife, Geertie Webbers,
deceased. I leave to my granddaughter, Geertie Minthorn, daughter of Philip
Minthorn, a silver cup of the value of œ8, for her being called after the
name of my wife Geertie, deceased. I do ratify and confirm the devise and
bequest which I have willed and declared to the said Jacques Fonteyn, and his
wife Anneken, and to Philip Minthorn, and Hillegard his wife, each an equal
part of my land at Poughkeepsie, in Duchess County, containing and bounded as
by the several writings may appear, and made March 7, 1712. I leave to Philip
Minthorne and his wife Hillegarde, all that my dwelling house and lot,
orchard, and pasture, with all that certain parcel of land at the Bowery, on
the south side of Captain Blagge, joining the Kings farm commonly called the
Negroes farm, about 32 acres, with all appurtenances. All the rest to my
children equally.

View full context

[NOTE.--Wolfert Webber's name is connected with two important tracts of land
in New York. A large tract of low land extending from the Bowery nearly to
Cherry Street was known as Wolfert Webber's Meadows. There was a clear spring
of water between Mott and Mulberry streets, and from this a brook or rivulet
wound its devious way through the meadows, and emptied into the East River at
what is now James Slip. This stream separated the Montgomerie Ward, on the
south from the Out Ward on the north, and the Out Ward embraced all the rest
of Manhattan Island. The farm left to his son-in-law, Philip Minthorn, was
well known in later days as the "Minthorn Farm." It was on the east side of
the Bowery and extended from First Street to Fifth Street. Its eastern
boundary was Orchard Street. The alley known as Extra Place is in the south
side of the farm. Mangle Minthorne, a representative of this family, had a
daughter, Hannah, who married Governor Daniel D. Tompkins.--W. S. P.]

Early example of New Jersey and New York politics?

from www.ancestry.com

George Myers