HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Martin Perdue <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 17:17:36 -0400
George Myers wrote:

> In his book NEW THINK, Edward de Bono talks about vertical and lateral
> thinking. Vertical thinking begins with a single concept and then proceeds
> with that concept until a solution is reached. Lateral thinking refers to
> thinking that generates alternative ways of seeing a problem before seeking a
> solution.

[snip]

This sounds like the old distinction between 'syntactic' and 'paradigmatic'
thinking.  Of course it's something of a forced dichotomy, but it sits so well in
the bicameral brains of old structuralists such as myself (well.., kinda).
;)    I like the digging metaphor but, since most people tend to do a little of
both (vertical and lateral digging), that would build one subterranean structure
I'd be afraid to enter.   :)

FWIW, architects are taught a method of visual lateral, or paradigmatic, thinking
in design studios.  Most of us, if given the assignment of designing a house,
would probably sit down and start a list, thinking 'okay, I'd like a big kitchen
and it should be near the dining room; there should be -- number of bedrooms and
bathrooms,' etc.  By contrast, architects are taught to sketch numerous diagrams
of room arrangements, or 'possibilities.'
Only then do they proceed to the particulars and real life 'details.'

How about the pit bull/humming bird metaphor?  The pit bull sinks his teeth into
one thing at a time and doesn't let go until it's dead (a syntactic/vertical
'thinker' if ever there was one), while the humming bird flits from one floral
'thought' to another.    :)

Marty Perdue (sorry, paradigmatics often stray off topic <g>)