HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Sat, 31 Jul 1999 07:06:43 -0400
     Yesterday, the excavation crew at the Hermitage plantation in Tennessee
recovered what appears to be a branding iron.  Can anyone help me with
references to the history of livestock branding, or perhaps some
top-of-your-head info on region and time periods for the practice?  We do
have some good documentation on the specifics of ear nicking to mark
ownership on this plantation, but no mention of brands and branding has ever
turned up.  I've always associated it with western U.S. cattle ranching, but
perhaps it was used in the South as well?
                 Doing my best to keep cool,
                        Larry