From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 11:06:15 EDT
Stirling Newberry ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>A... Barenboim follows the traditional
>tempi and performance practice of Beethoven is an objective observation,

To which Deryk Barker objected:

>>Really? We know that much about how Beethoven performed his own music do
>>we?

Of course we don't know much about the way Beethoven himself performed.
And, anyway, for reasons of personal safety I'm not wanting to tangle with
Deryk But I think it is true that Barenboim has tried harder than anyone
else who comes to mind to perform Beethoven, among other giants, in the
tradition set by outstanding conductors of the past.  He was something of
a disciple of Celibidache, and Celibidache was a disciple of Furtwaengler,
and ....

Denis Fodor