From:
Brett Langston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 22:39:00 +0100
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I'm trying to locate a biography of Tchaikowsky, written by Catherine
>Drinker Bowen, that I read a long time ago.  My searches keep turning up
>a book called, *"Beloved Friend": The Story Of Tchaikowsky And Nadejda Von
>Meck*, said to have been written together w/ Barbara Von Meck.  Would this
>be the book or is there another (possibly later) book by Ms. Bowen written
>sans collaborator, that I haven't been able to track down so far?

"Beloved Friend" would be the one you were looking for, and it was first
published in 1937; its co-author, Barbara (Varvara) von Meck, was married
to Nadezhda's grandson.  The book also appeared in a second edition in
1971 under the title "The Music Lovers" (jumping on the bandwagon of Ken
Russell's notorious film).  Hope this helps,

Brett Langston
The Tchaikovsky Web-Site
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/blangston/pitch/