From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 15:40:39 +0000
Michael Cervin:

>...  I don't much like the idea, but have collected the series anyhow
>out of admiration for Hogwood, who makes the very best of a not-to-good
>idea.  It is really sad that Universal have discontinued the cycle.

But, Hogwood acted on the advice of Professor James Webster.  He is adamant
that that is how the works would have been played by Haydn himself at
Ezterhazy and elsewhere.

Personally I don't miss it.  Indeed more often than not I find the continuo
an irritation which adds little to the music.  The degree of irritation
depends a lot on the player, of course.

In a very few early works such as number 18 Dorati's insightful playing
actually adds something worthwhile.  But it is still not authentic.

Bob Draper