From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 00:47:09 GMT
Bill Pirkle, still fighting the good fight:

>I agree with this with the exception that we need a generally accepted
>definition of music.

I don't think we need this at all, and we sure aren't going to get it
anyways.  I do believe that "we" (the people of the world) have similar
notions of what is music when we hear it.  That I might call the sounds of
a jackhammer to be music while another person just calls it noise is just
one of millions of examples of trivial side issues.  Would Asians agree
with West Europeans that their respective listening preferences constitute
music? Of course, if for no other reason than out of respect for the views
of peoples of different cultures.

>A vocabulary is what we need so we are at least using the same terms
>in the discussion IMHO.

I admire Bill's persistence, but I think it's a case of "chasing
windmills".

Bill provides another definition to chew on, but it doesn't make much
difference what the particular definition might be.  The only definition
I could live with would be predicated on my having total control of how to
define music for myself.  I'm not into anything in the area of music which
restricts my personal options and freedoms.

I do have a question for Bill? If we need "one" definition so badly,
how is it that this list operates fairly well, even though we do not have
the benefit of any body language.  No, me thinks that there are people
who feel a strong need for order and categorization, while others do not.
And I have no intention of entering the world of musical order as perceived
by Bill; it would limit *my* musical world.  Why would I allow such a
situation? (just a rhetorical question).  Overall, I'm not big on "order"
and my "where the heck is it" cd inventory backs up my statement.

Let me be a little more revealing about this.  For me, classical music
is the number 1 hobby/love of my life.  I'm in it for my enjoyment and
enlightenment, and it's an internal love.  I do have a desire to share it
with others, and doing so on this list gives me all of that feature I want.
*I* decide what's music, what's great music, what stinks, etc.  for my own
benefit.  If other persons don't care for my definition of music (each
person is KING/QUEEN), that's fine with me.  My main concern is not falling
into the trap of abdicating or losing that control, even 1% of it.  I'm not
part of any team or mutual effort; for me, there is no "we" in music.  I
can easily take this route because I'm just a simple listener who will
think and operate any way he pleases.  I already get all the "we" stuff I
need in the workplace; in fact, too much of it.

So, I think it would be a good idea for folks to stop trying to create
a category for everything musical; that mode of operation generally goes
down a dead end and totally disregards the supremacy of the individual.
Of course, having said this, I'm well aware that each of you will continue
doing as you please which is how it should be.

Don Satz