From:
Gordon Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 22:09:53 +0100
Some Collins Classics recordings have turned up on the Brilliant bargain
label in some of the huge cd boxed sets of Bach's music (the excellent
Mass in B minor recording by the Sixteen, for example).  Does anyone know
anything about Brilliant because some of its material is very interesting
but I can find very little in the way of reviews.  I'm particularly keen
to know what the church cantata series using, I think, the Bach Collegium
Holland, is like.  There is no documentation at all with these discs but
at the bargain basement prices this is to be expected.  The box containing
Bach's 4(!) passions is incredible value with some wonderful performances.
Its particular strength for me is a recording of the St.Mark Passion in a
reconstruction by Simon Heighes performed by Roy Goodman anmd the European
Baroque orchestra which first appeared at full price in the UK in 1996.
All lovers of Bach's music should get to know this work asap if they don't
already know it because it is a revelation.

"Gordon Martin" <[log in to unmask]>