From:
Dan Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 10:58:51 -0400
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>I remember years ago all the symphonies were played on the radio
>(from Wergo LPs, IIRC) and I dutifully heard them all.  I liked some
>a bit, was underwhelmed by others but never got back to them.  The
>fact that they were only available as a hideously expensive set was
>another deterrent.  It might be time to try again.

I bought the hideously expensive set way back when and have never regretted
it.  Some of the later symphonies get a little too academic for me with
their endless fugal passages, but there's lots of really great stuff there.
Luckily, he's become more well known recently and you can acquire many of
his symphonies separately.  My favorite remains the first.

Also well worth checking out are his opera, which I can't spell and now
seems to be out of print, and his string quartets.

Dan Schmidt | http://www.dfan.org
Honest Bob CD now available! | http://www.dfan.org/honestbob/cd.html