From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 10:46:41 +0000
I have been meaning to write about the Menuhin set on Carlton Classics
for a long time.  Whilst I am no Steven Schwartz (too lazy to write epic
reviews), for me not to report on this series would be gross negligence.

Summary for the executive: You won't need to spend your millions on this
awesome issue.  Believe your ears not preconceptions.

Menuhin's approach throughout seems to be that these are classical works
and as such his duty is to bring out every last detail.  No way can his
treatment be described as 'Heroic'

For me this works to amazing effect.  But it is not equally succesful in
all works.

Menuhin also makes the point about Haydn's influence on certain works
and he does not shirk from revealing this when it occurs.  Haydn's (and
Mozart's) footprints can be clearly heard in several of the symphonies.
So clearly in fact that I am wondering whether other conductors have toned
down the influence deliberately in order to comply with paradigms regarding
performance of the symphonies, particularly 3,5 and 9.

All of this does not in one iota dimish the power of the cannon.  Far from
it.  In my view the impresiveness is enhanced by a more accurate contextual
setting and the emphasis of nuances.

This doesn't work equally well in all symphonies, of course.  Nine is a
comparative dissappointment (or is it just that I am too used to the large
scale approach of others).  Where Menumin does best is in 1,2,4,5,6,7,8.
The Pastorale is the most successful version by anyone that I've come
across as is number 4.  Symphonies 1 and 7 which I previously disliked now
become highly listenable with Menuhin's approach.  Five is surprisingly
good too!

All these performance are live recordings and this gives a great impression
of 'being there' that other live recordings seek to achieve but often fail
to deliver.  The sound quality is somewhat variable.  Some of the earlier
recordings seem a bit too compressed to me.  But that is the only problem
that exists.  Coughers have been completely throttled and the only time the
audience can be heard is at the ends of the works.

Interestingly the only performance that gets the customary 'Bravo's' is
number 9, which as I've stated is the least successful in my view.

I purchased this entire set for $4.5.  You probably won't be so lucky.
But do buy it and then judge by what you hear not by what you expect.

Yehudi Menuhin/Sinfonia Varsovia/Beethoven Symphonies/IMG Records

Bob Draper