Robert Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 21 May 2000 04:05:34 +0200
This is the list of Compositions used in a regular Introduction to
Classical Music, The Cambridge Book of Music by Stanley Sadie and Alison
Latham.  All the listed compositions are explained in detail and presented
on CDs accompanying the book (quality recordings).  The compositions are
(far) more then ten and in chronological order (except the first which
explains the orchestra).  The book has been a great help to me, I admire
(being a teacher myself) its didactic impact.  Naturally there are gaps,
the book is very pro-British (some heavyweights such as Verdi, Bruckner
and others are missing among the compositions on CD) but I made a lot of
"friends" among the presented compositions (especially Brittens haunting
Elegy - a masterpiece!) and I heartily recommend the package as a fine
help for beginners in classical music.

1) Benjamin Britten: The Young Persons Guide to the Orchestra, op. 34
2) Guiot de Dijon: Chanterai por mon corage
3) Perotin: Viderunt omnes, Beginning
4) Guillaume de Machaut: Messe de Nostre Dame, Kyrie I
5) Francesco Landini: Ecco la primavera
6) John Dunstable: O rosa bella
7) Guillaume Dufay: Ce moys de may
8) Josquin Desprez: Nymphes des bois
9) Orlando di Lasso: Alma redemptoris mater
10) Giovanni Pierlugi da Palestrina: Missa brevis, Kyrie
11) Giovanni Gabrieli: Canzon XIII, septimi e octavi toni
12) Luca Marenzio: I must depart all hapless
13) William Byrd: Ave verum corpus
14) Thomas Weelkes: As Vesta was from Latmos hill descending
15) John Bull: Coranto Alarm
16) John Dowland: I must complain
17) Claudio Monteverdi: Orfeo, Act 2, Extract (The Messenger Scene)
18) Henry Purcell: Dido and Aeneas, Act 3, When I am laid in earth
19) Jean-Philippe Rameau: Hippolyte et Aricie, Closing of Act 4
20) Antonio Vivaldi: Violine Concert a-minor, op. 3, Nr. 6
21) Johann Sebastian Bach: Brandenburg Concert Nr. 4, G-Major
22) Johann Sebastian Bach: The Well-Tempered Clavier, Part I, Prelude
and Fugue in c-minor
23) Georg Friedrich Handel: Acis and Galatea, Love in her eyes sits playing
24) Georg Friedrich Handel: Messiah, Hallelujah Chorus
25) Joseph Haydn: Symphony Nr. 104 in D-Major, First Movement
26) Joseph Haydn: String Quartet in C-Major, op. 76, Nr. 3, Second and
Third Movements
27) Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Le nozze di Figaro, Act 1, Trio
28) Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Piano Concert in G-Major, KV 453, First Movement
29) Ludwig van Beethoven: Symphonie Nr. 3 in E flat-Major, Eroica, op.
55, First Movement
30) Franz Schubert: String Quartet in C-Major, D 956, First Movement
31) Robert Schumann: Dichterliebe, Im wunderschonen Monat Mai
32) Frederic Chopin: Mazurka in g-minor, op. 67, Nr. 2
33) Hector Berlioz: Overture Carneval romain (Roman Carnival)
34) Richard Wagner: Tristan und Isolde, Prelude
35) Johannes Brahms: Symphonie Nr. 1 in c-minor, op. 68, First Movement
36) Pjotr Iljitsch Tschajkovskij: Symphonie Nr. 4 in f-minor, op. 36,
First Movement
37) Gustav Mahler: Das Lied von der Erde, Der Trunkene im Fruhling
38) Richard Strauss: Till Eulenspiegels lustige Streiche, op. 28
39) Claude Debussy: Prelude a Lapres-midi dun faune
40) Arnold Schonberg: Pierrot lunaire, Mondestrunken
41) Anton Webern: Six Bagatelles for String Quartet op. 9, Nr. 4
42) Igor Stravinsky: Symphonie in C, First Movement
43) Bela Bartok: Concert for Orchestra, First Movement
44) Charles Ives: Three Places in New England, Nr. 2 Putnams Camp,
Reading, Conneticut
45) Benjamin Britten: Serenade op. 31, Elegy
46) Olivier Messiaen: Vingt regards sur lEnfant Jesus, Nr. 18 Regard de
lonction terrible
47) Karlheinz Stockhausen: Gesang der Junglinge, Beginning

Robert Peters