From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 21:34:02 PDT
Remember the Lindsay String Quartet? They had a string for years of
outstanding recorded performances of the central string quartet repertoire.
Now they are just called the Lindsays.  This is what success can do for you
- identification can be shortened.  In a few more years they can drop the
name all together.

Although the name has changed, superb interpretations are still common to
the group.  Their new recording of Haydn's first three opus 76 quartets is
superior to any other modern instrument recording I'm familiar with.  The
Lindsays have Haydn in their blood and make every note important and most
of them memorable.  I could go on about this, but it's sufficient to say
that all the excellent aspects of their playing in past issues in their
Haydn traversal apply here in spades.

Just one note of caution.  The basic recording is significantly weak
in bass strength and richness.  A quick realignment of my equalizer
controls totally erased the problem, and I was listening to excellent sound
reproduction.  But, I wanted you to know that simply adjusting the bass and
treble controls does *not* remedy the situation.  At least, that was my
conclusion after trying the disc out on my car and living room systems.

Don's Conclusion - Great Performances, but there's more than a slight
possibility that many listeners would not be satisfied with the provided
sound.  Those having equalizers or other alternative sound enhancement
equipment need not give the matter any concern.

Don Satz