From:
Chris Bonds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jan 1999 10:30:25 -0600
Janos Gereben wrote:

>Coughingly Incorrect, or, Proof That There Are Two Sides to *Everything*

Like everything else, audience behavior has a history.  To my knowledge
however that history has not been systematically recorded.  I suspect
it would make for a rather repetitious book.  I do recall reading
some accounts of 19th-century American concert audiences in H.  Wiley
Hitchcock's book on American music.  One hearty pioneer in a balcony box
apparently amused himself by aiming tobacco juice at the bald head of the
principal bassist.  (We can hope this was in one of the outlying districts
rather than in New York or Boston!)

We know it was common in the 18th century, at the opera, to serve food and
drink during performances.  One assumes this was accompanied by a certain
amount of commotion.  I'm guessing that the tradition of reverent silence
dates largely from Wagner at Bayreuth, but of course I can't prove that.

I went to a New York Philharmonic rehearsal once (Mehta was directing).
Visitors were allowed, but only in the back rows of the hall.  At one point
he stopped the orchestra, turned to glare at the audience in the rear, and
then cued the orchestra to erupt in a chorus of coughing and wheezing.  I
think everyone got the message.  Of course that was on union time too.

Whenever large numbers of people gather together there is the chance
that a percentage of them are not going to behave the way you (not you
personally!) think they ought to behave.  It's a continuing battle.  I
think people should make an effort not to cough excessively, and stay home
if they are really ill.  Besides being annoying they are spreading disease.
Beyond that, there are a few simple ground rules to observe.  No talking
during music, especially during soft music.  Don't bounce around and wag
your head back and forth just to prove how musical you are.  Don't clap
during a movement, especially to prove that you really don't know where
the end is.  I don't mind clapping between movements that is spontaneous.
Sometimes the music invites it.  Example:  end of the first movement of
Tchaikovsky violin concerto.

Bottom line: You aren't the star, or you would be on stage. Avoid calling
attention to yourself.

Chris Bonds