From:
Dave Pitzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 2000 10:36:17 -0800
Don Satz wrote:

>Dave Pitzer wrote:
>
>>>It's not too much of a stretch, I think, that for the *general*
>>>Bach-recording-buying public faced with a reading by, say, Andras
>>>Schiff and Gould, would opt for the recording without the accompaniment.
>>>Several here have said as much.
>
>>...  Are you sure it's "several"? I had no idea I was surrounded.

Several could be as few as three.  With this list now numbering some 968
members, it would require quite a number to feel "surrounded" I should
think.  I'm not suggesting, however, that there are only three members who
find Gould's "singing" objectionable.  I would guess it is a higher number.

For the record, I find Gould's extra-musical sounds objectionable but not
disqualifying.  In other words, I find that they distract from an otherwise
beautiful, insightful performance.  I suspect quite a few others would join
in that sentiment.

Dave Pitzer

 [Gould's humming doesn't irritate me nearly as much as his playing.  -Dave]