Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 18:43:38 -0700
From:
Bill Pirkle <[log in to unmask]>
Karl writes [about trends in classical music] ...

>I think one needs to put the invention of the phonograph into that
>equation.  On a day to day basis, back in 1900, if you wanted to hear
>Music, you made music.

I agree with Karl et.al that the invention of recorded music has put a
damper on the need for live music as a medium of distribution, but there
is still a need for live music in another sense and that has been dampened
too but not by technology but by government.  First let me say that its
not just CM but all music.  In the 30-60's, there were clubs almost all
of which had a live band.  Even many restaurants had a pianist and there
were large dance halls with dance bands and ball room dancing.

Live music is wonderful not so much for the fidelity of the sound, but
for watching the performers do it, the visual excitement.  The government's
role in its demise has been taxes, especially real estate and business
taxes.  A business, say, a club, pays so much for a square foot of floor
space which ultimately includes real estate and business taxes.  They have
to recover that cost through sales.  Bands, ensembles, and grand pianos
take up the floor space for several tables, especially in small clubs where
amateurs might get a chance to play.  A cassette player, amp, and ceiling
speakers take up none and produces music for the customers.  In Europe I
see musicians everywhere playing music in the streets for tips.  (If you
are good, really good, this is a great way to get discovered.  I believe
that if Liszt were alive today, and began playing an electronic piano in a
small bar, he would be famous in less than a year).  The same is true for
some U.S.  cities, San Francisco, New York.  However, with our trend toward
shopping centers, which are "private property", musicians can't play there
without permission - which is all but impossible to get.  All of this has
the effect of withholding the live performance of CM from the public and
the resulting "winter of classical music", with the resulting loss of jobs
for graduates of music schools.

To see the reverse effect, imagine this.  The governments, local, state,
and federal allow the business to take a tax credit for the value of
that flood space used by CM ensembles, orchestras, and pianists in their
businesses.  I think there would be live CM music everywhere since many
musicians would play (at least 1 or two days a week) for free to get the
exposure and sell their CD's and cassettes (you can now make you own to
sell).  This would have the effect of exposing the public to CM.  Such
a tax law would be impossible to get passed but you can see the reverse
effect of expensive floor space on live music.  "The more expensive floor
space becomes, the less live music there will be, even if the musicians
would play for free." (Pirkle's 1st law of live music) "An ever increasing
percentage of floor space cost is taxes (Pirkle's 2nd law of live music)

Just an opinion.

Bill Pirkle