Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 09:48:50 -0500
From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Bernard Chasan replies to me:

>>I think what you'd find in concert programming, although I have no solid
>>figures to back me up, that very little 20th-century music of any stripe
>>has been programmed in the U.S.
>
>A look at the Boston Symphony programs for the forthcoming 2000-2001
>season reveals that 29 0f the 63 compositions are from the twentieth
>century, ...

Yes, and Boston is a major musical center.  Come to New Orleans or Toledo.

Now, let's add this little fillip:  How many of the works to be played
(from all periods) have you heard before within the last 10 years? I
went to the BSO site and found about a dozen works out of 63.  Most
organizations play the same pieces over and over again, from all periods.
Is this really adventurous programming? It may be economical, but not much
else.

Steve Schwartz