Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 2 Jul 2000 14:46:14 +0200
From:
Achim Breiling <[log in to unmask]>
Jon Parker writes/asks:

>Seems like we had this thread very recently because I remember that I
>was the only one then to mention Karl Hartmann's 1st symphony and seem to
>be the only one now.  Is there anyone else who knows and loves the works
>of this composer?

Yes there is!  I have quite a view recordings of his works and
consider him as one of the major German composers of this/the last century.
Unfortunately even in Germany he is not very well know.  Nevertheless there
are a couple of nice recordings around, especially of the 8 symphonies (the
Metzmacher cycle pn EMI is perfect as is also the recent release of syms.
1 and 6 on Telarc).  Very nice are also the two string quartets on CPO!
Hartmann had definitely a very unique voice.  Unfortunately he died much
much to early!

Achim Breiling