Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 20:04:31 -0300
From:
Pablo Massa <[log in to unmask]>
Ron Chaplin:

>Is a classical composition, for example, valid only if it was written
>during the years 1750 to 1820? I would love to hear a modern piece written
>in the baroque or classical style

Ron pointed out here something very interesting.  Many people says that
this hypothetical piece would not have any value (or, a least a little
value, for example, as an exercise).  But this would be a judgement based
on considerations external to musical beauty and pleasure.  If a composer
can handle these styles, and writes a beautiful piece?why would us reject
it?,?aren't pleasure and beauty good aims for an artist?.The question seems
to be too innocent, but...  I never could know why this aesthetical choice
is generally accepted in literature, and not in music.  Another question:
what does the style of a piece has to do with its originality?.  Can a good
composer write a piece in the general style of the second half of XVIII
century (for example) and even so, being original?.  I believe that he can.
We are accustomed to think with the parameters of the XIX and early XX
century, and so, we think that "originality" means strictly a new style and
even a new aesthetic.  But originality is also a matter of "personality".
I think that a good composer can write in the style of Bach, and even so,
show his own personality.  Sounds difficult, and seems a challenge, but
this is what art means, after all.

Pablo Massa