Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 23:12:50 -0700
From:
Janos Gereben <[log in to unmask]>
I just heard the man who says he can't/won't/no no no sing opera (but
*made* to do so by Simon Rattle, thank goodness), in one of the finest --
or THE finest -- interpretation of Papageno, Osmin and Don Giovanni I
ever heard.  Quite a spread between those three roles, but the Man Who
Doesn't Sing Opera could just as well do the greatest Onegin, Amfortas,
Mefistofele, all the Verdi roles, and Wotan.  Hard to believe? Yes.  But
believe it anyway.

With all the superlatives written about Thomas Quasthoff, he is still not
getting acknowledged for having an *operatic* voice of warmth, elegance,
power, and complete command of both the material and the audience.

And, just "La ci darem la mano" tonight all by itself disclosed *the* most
important quality in Thomas Quasthoff's voice:  as Giovanni, the beastly
incorrect but irrestible hero, here is the voice of seduction, clear and
simple.  Quasthoff the opera singer is seductive as none other.

I have a review coming up later tonight of Quasthoff's joint recital with
Juliane Banse (going from good to brilliant as the evening climaxed with
the Mozart opera set), accompanied by Met-orchestra-in-one Justus Zeyen,
at the Oregon Bach Festival in Eugene, but I have no illusions about
"explaining" how incredible the operatic experience of Quasthoff is, hence
this brief notice, urging one and all to experience it...  *if* you ever
get a chance.

Attachments to [log in to unmask]