Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 03:42:48 -0300
From:
Pablo Massa <[log in to unmask]>
Stirling Newberry to James Tobin and Steve Schwartz

>Hanslick is probably the commentator among the 19th century academics
>read to day". Paritally because he was the most eloquent defender of the
>Brahmsian camp,

There are other reasons too. Hanslick strongly influenced many works
of musical aesthetics in the XX century: Brelet, Schloezer, etc. Even
Strawinsky's "Poetique musicale" --though not directly related to
Hanslick-- is not far from the general lines of  "Von Musikalisch Schonen".

>...and partially because his ideas about art being
>inaccessible are echoed by such writers as Adorno, Rosen etc

It's curious. I find Adorno much more unreadable than Hanslick....

Pablo Massa