From:
Tom Elliott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2000 12:10:14 -0900
Marc Studebaker wrote:

> It is too cold in Ohio in February to feed syrup.

I have read frequently over the years that you can not feed sugar syrup in cold
weather.  However, here in Alaska I have been feeding sugar syrup continuously
through the winter, regardless of temperatures, for the past three years.  I
also use a protein patty of feeg grade yeast with trapped pollen added.  Using
this method I am for the first time getting colonies through the winter with a
useful strength.  The wintering aspect is a tangential issue.  It is the "'to
cold to feed syrup" idea I am interested in.  Does anyone have any ideas as to
why I can safely feed syrup at -20 degrees F or even colder with no problems?

--
"Test everything.  Hold on to the good."  (1 Thessalonians 5:21)

Tom Elliott
Chugiak,  Alaska
U.S.A.