From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 08:44:40 PDT
I heard that Hanssler recently issued a new recording of Bach's Musical
Offering.  Does anyone know if modern or period instruments are used for
the performance, and what do you think of the interpretation?

When the Hanssler series was initially announced, I kept hearing about the
cantatas and other choral works.  Since they were to be performed on modern
instruments and directed by Rilling, my interest in the series was fairly
low.  But there have subsequently been some fine recordings of non-choral
works in the series.  Hill's Art of Fugue, Koroliov's Goldberg Variations,
and some organ discs have been highly worthy of acquisition.  I'm think of
getting their set of the cello suites, and am now interested in their
Musical Offering.

Don Satz