HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
geoff carver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 20:31:43 +0100
> Conceivable, yeah, I suppose so, they'd've had to be very lucky, but
> why not. Actually, noone I've read has disputed the vague
> possibility, they've just pointed out the absence of any real
> evidence ie something not easily explained by another hypothesis or
> testable in some way. Personally, I wouldn't put it past those Latin
> folk, they were seriously resourceful, (criss-cross Europe, North
> Africa, and western Asia with highways, somehow hold together an
> empire in the early first millennium for 400 years in the west, more
> like a thousand in the east, compare with modern European Powers.
> Hmmm, seriously resourceful) but that's a long way from evidence.
> Sorry.

yeah, but them romans never really were all that sea-going: someone is now
making claims for evidence on the canary islands, but they never conquered
ireland, so how did they suddenly make a really big jump over to mexico...? even
when they wandered around the mediterannean they tended to stick to the coasts,
sometimes even going the long way around from greece so they could cross by
sicily and go up the boot...
        doesn't jive on that count, at any rate

geoff carver
http://home.t-online.de/home/gcarver/